History of SJS

For over 100 years, St. Joseph School and Church have been educating students on “Catholic Hill” in Florence, Alabama. In 1898, a non-Catholic, Mrs. Lena Peters, donated the land to build a Catholic church and school and the land was named “Catholic Hill”. In the 1960s, the school became a regional school, serving the three surrounding parishes in the Shoals: St. Joseph, St. Michael’s and Our Lady of the Shoals.

St. Joseph Regional Catholic School currently teaches preschool (3K, 4K) through 8th grades. Throughout the past century, the school’s reputation for academic excellence and spiritual growth has continued to flourish.